Way to go Warrego – overtaking lanes open ahead of schedule
Friday, 22 September 2017
The Warrego Highway has been made safer sooner than expected with the completion of eight new overtaking lanes between Oakey and Dalby, finished two months ahead of schedule.
Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester said the $44 million project was another example of works being carried out as part of the Warrego Highway Upgrade Program.
“The Australian Government’s investment has helped deliver east and westbound overtaking lanes at four locations on the Oakey to Dalby stretch of the Warrego Highway, improving driver safety and travel times,” Mr Chester said.
“Our investment will help save lives and boost productivity and efficiency for heavy vehicle operators, improving the region’s economy and the quality of life for people who regularly use that section of the highway.”
Acting Queensland Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports Steven Miles said local Darling Downs contractor FK Gardner and Sons worked closely with the Queensland Government to deliver the project ahead of schedule.
“We are expecting the number of serious crashes recorded between Dalby and Oakey to fall significantly as a result of this upgrade. As well as completing the works two months early, the crew worked with innovative new products, such as foam bitumen, during construction,” Mr Miles said.
Federal Member for Groom John McVeigh said the project was one of 15 that form part of the $635 million Warrego Highway Upgrade Program between Toowoomba and Miles.
“Works on this $44 million section of the broader project started in November last year, with an average of 136 jobs supported during construction,” Dr McVeigh said.
“These extra overtaking lanes will make a huge difference to everyone driving this section of the Warrego, including the road freight and tourism industry operators on whom much of regional Queensland’s economic future relies.”
The Australian Government contributed $35.2 million and the Queensland Government $8.8 million to the $44 million project. The $635 million Warrego Highway Upgrade Program is a package of 15 works funded by the Australian and Queensland governments on an 80:20 funding split arrangement.
Caption: State Member for Condamine Pat Weir and Federal Member for Groom Dr John McVeigh at one site of one of the eight new overtaking lanes between Oakey and Dalby.